PANAJI: Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Wednesday said that that the entire 9.5 million ton iron ore which is lying on the 88 mining sites across the State will be transported.
Speaking to reporters, Sawant said that only iron ore where royalty had been paid will be allowed to be transported while, the extracted iron ore lying at the mining sites will also be allowed to be transported provided royalty is paid by the lease holders.
It is learnt that royalty has not yet been paid for significant chunk of this extracted ore as of now.
In a major relief to mining firm, the Supreme Court last month allowed mining firms to transport validly mined iron ore from mines in Goa if they have paid royalty to government authorities. By modifying its earlier order the apex court had permitted transportation of already mined iron ore lying unused at various sites in the State.
The Supreme Court had banned mining and transportation of iron ore in Goa by a judgement in January 2018.
As per the court order, the extracted iron ore has to be transported within a period of six months from the date of order (january 30, 2020) provided it has paid royalty to authorities and had valid licence with regard to it. Only iron ore extracted prior to March 16, 2028 be allowed to transport,the court had said.
“Royalty will be paid. Even non royalty paid iron ore lying at 88 mining sites will be transported after royalty is paid,” the chief minister said.
To a question, Sawant said that the government was all set to start minign activities through Goa mining corporaiton or by any other option.