Finally, the gap of the new Zuari cable-stayed project was bridged on Tuesday after the final closure segment was lifted up and put in place, paving the way for the completion of one phase of the project in the next two to three months.
The final closure segment of the under-construction bridge was lifted in the presence of Chief Minister Pramod Sawant, PWD Minister Nilesh Cabral and DBL officials in a ceremony.
PWD Minister Cabral informed that the bridge will be most likely operational by November or December 2022.
The CM and PWD Minister took stock of the work. Speaking at the event, Sawant said that the government has spent Rs 22,000 crore only to develop road infrastructure in Goa.
He also said that the Borim bridge work will be taken up in future and it will bring connectivity to Dhavali and Ponda areas.
Later, speaking to the reporters, PWD Minister Nilesh Cabral said that Rs 1,436 crore had been spent on the new Zuari bridge.
He said that the bridge will be maintained for 8 years by Dilip Buildcon as part of the maintenance contract. "The rotating towers atop the bridge are not part of the bridge infrastructure, but govt will tender the work on PPP mode very soon," he added.
When asked about the completion of the other wing of the cable-stayed bridge, Cabral informed that it will be taken up by March 2025.