A bus run by Kadamba Transport Corporation Limited (KTC) caught fire in the early hours of Wednesday, December 15, near the Cortalim junction. All the 46 passengers, the driver and cleaners escaped unhurt.
According to the police, the driver got a whiff of burning smell once they reached near the Cortalim junction, he immediately stopped the KTC bus and asked everyone to get off the bus. Within few minutes after, the driver got everyone off, the bus was completely engulfed in fire. The seats were completely burned and it is suspected that the fire may have been caused due to short circuit in the battery.
The Fire Service reached the spot a few minutes after receiving the news and extinguished the flames.
All the passengers are safe and no causalities have been reported. Howeverm it is estimated that the Kadamba corporation has lost about 20 lakhs due to the fire.